Friday, October 24, 2008

School's In!

School was officially supposed to start on October 12th. However, that doesnt mean we are going to have class. My first clue? My community counterpart, who is also a teacher went into the capital.

So I walk there, meet the director, and have tea with two other women who work there for about three hours. Then go home because everyone decides its too hot and they need naps. Repeat x5. That was my first week of school.

The next week, we actually had classes. I teach 1st-4th year of middle school, so the equivelent to 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. Each class is 2 hours for a grand total of 8 hours a week. However, the English teacher they have had for the past two years has a limited amount of English. He is really a French teacher. So I'm pretty much starting from square one. On every class. This includes, alphabet, numbers, pronunciation. Everything.

My first class was a 3rd year class and I was interrupted in the middle of it by my bosses. The Peace Corps education director came out to see me. He also brought care packages and my absentee ballot, so it was a welcome distraction. With that, class was over within an hour and I got a pimp ride home with the entire town staring at the new teacher in some huge ass SUV.

The kids are really excited to learn English though, and it seems like everyone I meet is happy I'm here. It feels nice to finally start doing the job I was sent here to do... Yay!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! How was your halloween? Mike and I had a fun time scaring little kids and adults alike!!!

a friend of mine set up a little haunted obstacle course in his front yard for us to scare people, it was great!

Anyhoooo's - Dad wants to visit Grannyma in Okie land for Xmas. Michael is supposed to come over soon when he go pick up julie cause I live close to the other airport now. I will call you soon, and will call later with michael too.

ok sum sum, happy halloween!!!

Unknown said...

Summer!
glad to see things are going well. Sounds so amazingly different but also exciting and gratifying at the same time. Love reading about your travels! I'll let Ella H. know you are doing well and now teaching other kids English.

Jeannie Hampton.
ella H's mom

Unknown said...

Hi Summer
You're site is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. What an amazing experience!! Diego misses you as do we. Hope you have some type of plan for the holidays (even if it is to have dinner).

Take care of yourself.
Laura Fino