Thursday, May 21, 2009

Videos!

My friend Whitney came to town to visit for a day and took videos and more pictures. The first video is a tour of our market, the big hub of our village. It was quite lively that day...



The second one is how we travel in Mauritania. Basically stuff as many people as you can into one car. And children under 6 don't count as people because you can just throw them on top of your lap. They've gotten this down pretty well. Eight people in a 5 person car is not unheard of. The car we took into town had a total of 7. Roomy! And one of my students says "Hello!"



More Glimpses of my town...



This is Toutou and I. She works at the school with me. She went with us into town and is sitting next to me in the car. You might catch a glimpse of her viel.



We're loading up the car. Complete with donkey cart on top. The wheel was broken so they had to take it into Aioun, my regional capital.



This is one of the main "roads" in Agjert.



Obviously, we are very keen on renovating property...



Butchers slaughtering meat. You can only buy meat in our town Mondays and Fridays. And with no sort of refrigeration, the entire goat needs to be sold that day. Unless you make goat jerky and dry strips of meat. This guy here just lost his head...



The mosque closest to me in town. I've gotten used to this guy's prayer call, he's my favorite.

No comments: